Everybody needs a recipe of a pudding that really goes quickly.
It's a pudding for unexpected guests,
a pudding for the swe-ee-e-t toothed,
a pudding when you don't want to be in font of the stove for a long time,
a pudding to impress everyone when camping, when you 'braai' (BBQ), whenever...!
This is going to be my pudding on Sunday.
Quick brown pudding:
1 liter water
375 ml sugar
5 ml cinnamon (or ginger)
Place all the ingredients for the sauce into a large saucepan (with a lid) and bring to boil.
In the mean time, prepare the dough.
125 ml apricot jam
125 g margarine or butter
10 ml bicarbonate of soda
375 ml flour
5 ml salt
- Melt the margarine and jam in the microwave (do not boil - or just melt the butter and stir in the jam - the jam will melt from the heat of the margarine).
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
- Add the flour and salt and mix into a dough.
- Place spoonfuls of the dough into the boiling sauce. **
- Cover with the lid and cook for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream and/or custard.
(a ice-cream scoop works well)
2. When the sauce is boiling, it must be 'slow' boiling, not too much bubbling.